Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

My Most Favorite Salad

My cousin has an AMAZING food blog. She has tons of yummy recipes on there!! Old Mac is one of the pickiest eaters I know and he loves everything I've tried. My favorite salad is a recipe that I got from her. If you live in OOtah than you know of a little place called "Cafe Rio". This salad is a pretty close version of the real thing! The best part is that you can make your own from home for a fraction of the cost!

To start you need 2 1/2 lbs of pork (or chicken) thawed
Mix together:
1 1/2 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 c. salsa
1 can of coke (16 oz.) *I've used Dr. Pepper and it worked good too
       Put thawed pork in crock pot and pour mixture over. Cook on low for 7 hours (or until cooked). Shred pork and cook 30 min.

Rice:
3 c. rice                                                  
1 tbs. butter
4c. water                                                 
1/2 onion chopped
4 tsp. chicken bouillon                            
1/2 tsp. salt
4 tsp. minced garlic                                
1 can chilies
1/2 bunch cilantro (chopped)
       Saute onion and garlic with butter until soft. Add rice, water, and  other ingredients bring to boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes.

Creamy Cilantro Tomatillo Dressing:
1 package Hidden Valley dressing mix            
1 c. mayo                                                   
1/3 c. buttermilk
1 c. cilantro (chopped)                              
2 cloves garlic
3 tomatillos (skin off) *I dice them            
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
       Put all ingredients in blender. Chill before serving it will thicken.

If you haven't had one of these salads before you take a tortilla shell and layer rice, black or pinto beans, pork, lettuce, tortilla chips, pico*, and dressing. (We put cheese on ours because Old Mac is crazy when it comes to food and cheese)

*Jamielyn also has a really good salad recipe and she had a link for homemade pico from The Pioneer Woman. If you need a recipe this one is delicious.

2 comments:

  1. That looks delish! Thanks for sharing. Am now your newest follower....feel free to stop by mine when you get a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love Cafe Rio's Pork Salad. I'll have to try this- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!! I read all of them and they all make my day!!