Pages

Monday, August 29, 2011

August Book Club Review


I'm super happy that I ended up picking this book for our book club this month!! I am a sucker for historical books and books based around particular time periods.

The Help by Kathryn Stockett takes place in Jackson Mississippi in 1942. A young girl comes home from college and is looking for a job. She wants to become a writer. She gets in contact with an editor in New York who tells her to write about something that disturbs her. She decides to write a story from the view point of the maids and what it's like working for their families. Like the other book reviews I don't want to give away too much information for those of you who want to read this book. I loved all the characters. Even the nasty Hilly was such a well written bad guy. I will say this too after reading The Help you will never look at chocolate pie the same:) 

I came across some book discussion questions. One of the ones I found very interesting was: To what extent do you think a person's flaws, such as racist attitudes and behaviors, can be forgiven because it is the norm in the surrounding culture? I still don't think it excuses people from looking at others differently but it did make me think about the subject in a different way than I have before.

For those of you that missed my first post, for book club this month we went and saw the movie together. There are chunks of the book that are left out and changed in the movie. I don't think the movie was quite as good as I had pictured it being in my head. That being said it was still a very good "feel good" movie.

I LOVED this book!! It will for sure be going on my list of favorites!! I give this book 4 out of 4 stars!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!! I read all of them and they all make my day!!