Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2012

January Book Club Selection/Review


The book that was selected for our January book club was 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher. This book is about a girl named Hannah who is in High School. She (like lots of teenagers) has a lot of High School drama to deal with. For her own reasons Hannah decides to commit suicide. Hannah pre-records tapes that are sent out to different people that influenced her decision to end her life. Along with the tapes is also a map of the town and locations where different events in Hannah's life happened. 

This book touches on a subject that is very personal to many people. As well as being personal it's also a very controversial topic. Without going too deep I think Hannah was an over dramatic teenager.  High School is a rough age for most people. I strongly believe that having extra curricular activities, and belonging to a religion, can have major positive influences in a teenagers life. Hannah ended her life because she thought that was her only solution. In my honest opinion all she did was run away from the problems instead of addressing them. This book is being made into a movie with Selena Gomez playing the role of Hannah. Will I read this book again? Probably not. Is this book a must read? In my opinion no. 13 Reasons Why is very well written and brings a new perspective to this topic. With that being said I personally have a hard time recommending this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!! I read all of them and they all make my day!!