Pages

Monday, June 10, 2013

TTR: Chicken Tortilla Soup






 

If you missed one of my last posts, I've decided to take the recipes from Trisha Yearwood's food network show and test them out. I watch a ton of food network. My problem is I don't usually try the recipes that are on the different shows. Trisha's recipes all seem delicious and easy.
 
I decided to kickoff, "Testing Trisha's Recipes" with her Chicken Tortilla Soup. This recipe was super easy and super delicious. My hubby isn't a big soup fan and ate three bowls. The only substitution I did was milk instead of half and half. This recipe was a HUGE hit in my family. I will for sure be making this again.

Chicken Tortilla Soup
 

Ingredients



  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • Three 14-ounce cans chicken broth
  • 4 cups half-and-half
  • One 10.75-ounce can cream of chicken soup
  • 1 cup prepared salsa, mild or spicy
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, boiled, drained and shredded
  • One 15-ounce can black beans, drained
  • One 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained
  • One 15-ounce can whole kernel corn, drained
  • 2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • One 1.27-ounce packet fajita seasoning
  • One 16-ounce bag tortilla chips
  • 8 ounces Monterey Jack, grated
  • 8 ounces sharp Cheddar, grated
  • 1/2 cup sour cream


Directions


Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and the onion and saute until softened, 5 minutes. Add the flour and stir well, cooking for 1 minute more. Add the broth and the half-and-half. Stir in the cream of chicken soup, salsa, chicken, beans, corn, cumin and fajita seasoning. Continue to simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.

Crumble the tortilla chips into individual bowls and top with a ladle of soup. Sprinkle each serving with cheese and add a dollop of sour cream.








1 comment:

  1. I want a bowl next time you make this. Sounds yummy!! I didn't even know Trisha yearwood had a tv show!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!! I read all of them and they all make my day!!